Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Emilie's First Night in Hawaii

I arrived in Kauai tonight! Moving to Kauai has been a long process but I made it!  The principal's husband and one of the student's from the school picked me up from the airport.  They met me at the baggage claim with a flower lei. The principal rented a car for me to use for the next month, that will be extremely helpful for us as we figure things out here!  I'm very thankful they did that for me.  On the way to Kekaha they pointed out some of the different places to go.  There is a Wal-Mart, Home-Depot, Macys, Costco, McDonalds, and Subway.  Other than that, it seems that there is mostly small local businesses (those places are on the way to Kekaha, not in it).  The beach is less than a mile from the school I will be working at.  It is a beautiful beach, but probably not a good one for swimming because there is not much  of a sandy area and the waves are big.  I guess there is a better beach for swimming close by though.  I found out I will have 8 kids in my class, three 5th graders and the other five are in 2nd or 3rd grade.  They all speak Hawaiian as their first language.  I was told they will call me "kumu" or "auntie" instead of "Mrs. Beadle" like I would be called in a traditional school.  Kumu means teacher.

-Emilie