Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Downside of Technology

Today I learned about the downside to technology.  I got to school at 6:00 a.m. to get ahead in my lesson plans and to my great unpleasent suprise, my computer would not turn on.  All of my lesson plans for the day were saved on the computer.  Immediately, the thoughts of getting ahead in my plans went out the window. However, that was not the only problem. In my classroom we use a Smart-Board instead of a white board.  I put all of the student directions on the board so they can be independent and I don't have to answer a million questions when I am rotating through the room teaching each grade.  Without the computer the Smart Board does not work.  I won't go into every detail of my morning, but I did eventually manage to get my lesson plans put together (hand-written) so I would be ready for the day.  At this point I was not in a very good mood.

At 7:30 a.m. I finally stepped outside of my classroom into the beautfiul outdoors to get ready for Hawaiian protocol I was happily greeted and hugged by a swarm of children.  One of the first graders brought be a pretty necklace made out of shells as a gift.  It was so sweet, it brightened my mood right away!


I have been trying to listen closely during the Hawaiian Protocol so I can learn it.  I have a feeling it will take a long time before I know it well.  I got a copy of part of it to take home and practice (remember this is in Hawaiian).  It was a good reminder for me to feel like what it is like to learn to read again!  It helped me to empathize with my students a little better.

Aloha ahiahi (good evening),

Emilie

No comments: