Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Emilie-- The Bus Driver?

Yesterday was a sad day... we had to return our rental car!  I was all ready to start taking the bus to work when my principal offered to let me borrow the school van... for an indefinite amount of time.  The school van is the largest van you can possibly have without needing a chauffeurs license.  I was very excited! I get to school an hour and a half before school starts to make sure I am prepared for the day, grade papers, etc.  I really didn't want to have to worry about catching the bus so early!  Plus, it's always nice to have an option to drive for certain things.. like grocery shopping! We don't want to carry lots of grocery bags on the bus.

The school van is only used for field trips, camping trips (yes our school goes camping together), and other miscellaneous events (the kids normally come to school on a bus).  EXCEPT if the bus driver is sick or cannot come to school for some reason. If that happens then this means I am the bus driver for the day (with the school van not the bus).  The principal is going to take me on the route so I can be sure to know where everyone lives.  I'm really hoping I never have to do this though! 

I also found out that I am able to use the van to take my class on field trips!  I don't have to send home any permission slips or anything.  I just check to make sure that no one else is using the van that day and I can just take my class on a field trip if I want to!  I'm in the process of working something out with the local library so my class can have a tour and learn how to find books that interest them. 

-Emilie

No comments: