Thursday, September 1, 2011

Learning Hawaiian

I am starting to learn a LITTLE bit of Hawaiian. During science and social studies my class combines with the kindergarten and first graders. A few of the younger students have started asking me questions in Hawaiian instead of English. I'm beginning to be able to pick out a word or two and get the gist of what they are asking. The most common questions are "can I go to the bathroom" and "can I get a drink of water"... I definitely have those ones down! Plus a few other basics, like "good morning." I have also mastered one of the Hawaiian protocol songs... Ok so it is the shortest, most repetitive, and slowest song... But that is ok! You don't realize how fast people talk until you are learning the words for the first time.

- Emilie

No comments: