Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Thanksgiving Break

We have been super busy this past week!  It started with a "flower hunt" to make a lei for my friend Staci who came to visit us.  It was so wonderful to see a familiar face again! We were able to enjoy exploring the island together.

According to Staci, we should encourage everyone who visits us to go camping at Polihale.  I would have to agree with her... it must be one of the best places in the world for camping.  Don't let this sign scare you off... its not that treacherous... especially if you are used to driving on dirt roads.  The bumpy road is worth the gigantic beach at the end.  Almost no one is ever there which makes is very peaceful.


We also explored Waimea Canyon, but unfortunately the weather did not cooperate and it was very gloomy.  We drove to the Kalalau Lookout, but literally could not see anything through the clouds.  However, if it had been a clear day we would have seeen this.


Of course we also went to several different beaches and did some shopping.  We also realized that the northern part of the island is not that far away so we drove up there so Staci could see more of the extraordinary views.  We normally don't spend much time "up north" because we feel like it is farther away than it really is.  I have a feeling we will be spending much more time there.

Staci came to school with me on Monday and Tuesday to help me in my classroom.  The kids loved her and I loved having her help!  Staci was showered with notes and pictures from the younger students. She told them about how lakes freeze in Michigan and they were blown away by the idea!  Unless there is a hurricane, I don't think there is any bad weather here.  It has been slightly cooler in the mornings and some people on the island have begun wearing Ugg boots!  I was shocked that those are worn here.  I only wear flip-flops, which are called "slippers".
 

- Emilie

No comments: