Wednesday, February 22, 2012

One Room Schoolhouse?

I feel like I am working in a one room schoolhouse... even though there is technically more than one room.  I have another new student, a fourth grader (my only one).  This means that I now teach all of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders at my school.  Not to mention that I have a first grader who I teach for half of the day and I co-teach science two days a week.  On those days we have grades k-5 in the same class! 

Needless to say, I could have never imagined that I  would have ended up in this type of teaching situation.  I'm having to learn some things as I go, but I know I came into this position prepared to be a good teacher.  In some ways it is nice to have multi-age students in the same class.  I can pair them up for "buddy reading" where an older student reads to a younger student, and then the younger student reads to the older student.  They work very well together and are surprisingly patient.  The biggest thing I fear is not being able to teach each grade/subject to the best of my ability.  I know how to teach a lesson, but how do I teach 4 lessons in one period?  I'm doing it... but it is not easy.  My students work in stations, which is really the only way I can run my classroom effectively.  They must be able to work independently at the stations that they are not with me because I have to be completely focused on the precious time I have with the group that is in front of me.  Considering this circumstances and the fact that my classroom is extremely tiny and cramped, my students are doing wonderfully.  However, if any readers out there have any suggestions I would be happy to hear them!

-Emilie

No comments: