Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Lei Making

In preparation for the graduation ceremony, the entire school has busily been making lei's this week.  All of the students have a simple lei made out of an opihi shell.  Plus, the girls are wearing three strands of crown flowers.  That is a lot of flowers!  I was helping one of my students with their lei and it was probably 5 feet long so she could ensure that she could wrap it around her neck three times.  The boys are wearing lei's made out of ti leaves intertwined with crown flowers. 

Tomorrow is the last day of school!  We will be finishing up the lei's and practicing for their hula performance.  Meanwhile, I will be practicing a Hawaiian chant that I will be reciting with the other teachers at graduation.  Each day, the students do this type of welcoming chant and the teacher's chant in reply.  We will also do this at graduation, except the chant we are doing is one that is new to me.

 This is what crown flowers look like!  I really like this type of lei because it is simple, pretty, and not too bulky.  They are also really easy to make.

 
This is a ti leaf lei.  This lei is also easy to make!  I like this one because it is one of the longest lasting lei's.  Ti leave come in both green and red.  These will look great with the purple crown flowers.

- Emilie

No comments: