Monday, January 7, 2013

Sunrise Shells

Cory bought me a beautfiul sunrise shell for Christmas this year.  I was really excited because I had been wanting one for awhile.  I was told that they could be found at Polihale right before sunrise. I went out and looked a few times when we were camping, but I only found baby sunrise shells that were probably about the size of a quarter inch and were very fragile. 

This is my sunrise shell!  It is on a necklace now.  It is about the size of a quarter.

The first time I saw a sunrise shell I thought that it had been dyed or painted.  I didn't know how special they are until I saw a few people wearing them and decided to learn a little about the shell. 

I found this description online to share with you...


"These shells are one of the most sought after for their history, beauty and rarity. They are only found in Hawaii so that alone makes them very special. Their history goes back to ancient times when only the Hawaiian royal family was allowed to wear to this unique treasure. They are still around today but are hard to obtain because they live in depths of over 200ft. By the time they get to the beach they are usually destroyed from our powerful surf. Because they are so rare and hard to find they are very valuable."

- Emilie

No comments: