Saturday, February 2, 2013

January Update

January was a busy month!  I am currently taking two graduate classes and I have another one starting at the end of this month.  After this semester I'll be over half way done with my master's degree! 

Cory started working as a zip-lining tour guide this past month.  It is only three days a week, and so far he likes it.  I'm jealous that he gets to work outside (except that he has to work in the rain sometimes).  We also found out that he gets to continue teaching at my school for the rest of the year.  He was hired as an "emergency hire" back in the fall and we were not sure for how long it would be.  It is nice to know that he has it for the rest of the year. 

We had a really nice visit from Pastor Tom and Pauline and their two friends.  We had a delightful lunch together and they came to see the school.  It was so nice to see familiar faces!

Of course a month can't go by without a camping trip, so we went to our favorite spot - Polihale.  We have become friends with a local artist who has a gallery in the town we live in, and him and his wife came with us.  I literally think his artwork is the best on the island, which is pretty good because there are 16 galleries in Hanapepe alone.  He knows that I enjoy painting so he brought two easels and we painted while we were there.  It was really cool to be on the edge of this sand dune with a professional artist, painting our favorite place on the island.  Within an hour and a half or so, he had a masterpiece.  I only got about half way done.  I'll post a picture when its finished.

Here is a link to our friend Georgio's website.  Pictures don't quite do his work justice though, his paintings have a ton of texture and of course you can't get that from a photograph.

http://www.giorgiosart.com/

At the end of this month I will be going on a trip to Seattle for a Common Core (teaching) workshop.  I'm not looking forward to the cold!  It will be fun to go somewhere new though. Unfortunately Cory is not coming with us. 

A hui hou!

- Emilie

No comments: