Thursday, May 16, 2013

Saying Goodbye to my Keiki

Yesterday, I told my class that I was moving back to Michigan once the school year was over and that I wouldn't be their teacher next year.  I decided that I should tell them a little before the end of the school year so they could let it sink in.  Since next week is our last week, I thought that now would be a good time to do it.  I knew it was going to be difficult to tell them, but it was harder than I thought it would be.  

I told them at the end of day after science because I teach science to grades K-5 and that way I could tell all of the elementary children together.   At first there was just silence until one students said, "No, Kumu Emilie you can't go."  Then suddenly almost everyone was crying.  Many of the children were quite a bit more emotional than I expected.  It was very sad, but it also made me feel loved.  I'm going to miss them so much.  By the end of the day (which was only an hour later - they still had to go to Hawaiian language class) I already had dozens of cards and notes.  Today I even got some very thoughtful notes from parents.  

When we left Michigan to come to Hawaii we were sad to leave our friends and family. Now that we are leaving Hawaii, we have new friends and children that we will be sad to leave.  



Here is a  recent class photo from our field trip to the National Tropical Botanical Gardens.  The trip was an extension to a native plant writing project that my class has been working on this quarter.

A hui hou!

- Emilie

No comments: